You want to present the best version of yourself to the world and muster as much confidence as you can while pursuing your aspirations.
But sometimes, things get in your way—including dull skin. Yes, that’s enough to make you feel less than what you’re worth. Unflattering skin is enough to slow you down on your track and second guess yourself.
The good news is you have the power to overcome this hurdle.
But first things first. You need to pinpoint what’s causing the problem. Go straight to the root cause of dull and tired complexion.
What Causes Dull Skin
The following might be the culprit why your skin looks dull and tired.
- Aging – This is inevitable. And it has physical manifestations, especially on your skin. When you’re young, your skin is plump, firm, and elastic. That is thanks to an abundance of elastin and collagen in your skin’s structure. As you age, you produce less and less of those.
- Dehydration – Skin health owes to good blood circulation. That, in turn, is aided by sufficient hydration. Failure to hydrate your body will quickly manifest in your skin via fine lines, wrinkles, sagging, and dry complexion.
- Dead Skin Cells – Every day, your skin sheds millions of dead cells. This is how your body gives way to new and healthier-looking skin. Sometimes, though, those dead skin cells accumulate. And as you grow older, you become more susceptible to those build-ups. The result is a tired complexion that does not reflect light.
- Stress – Life has no shortage of stressors. The global pandemic is one. On top of that, your usual day-to-day worries are another stress trigger. Stress is the culprit for your body’s excessive cortisol production, which keeps your skin from glowing.
- Free Radicals – Think of free radicals as unstable molecules. They cause havoc to your skin. So, where do these free radicals come from? There’s pollution for starters, which exposes your skin to dirt and chemicals that increase pigmentation and damage collagen.
- Unhealthy Lifestyle – Not exercising enough. Not getting sufficient rest. Eating unhealthy food. Juggling vices. These are just some of the determinants of an unhealthy lifestyle. And that’s one of the biggest enemies of glowing skin.
- Inappropriate Skincare – There are different skin types: normal, dry, combination, oily, and sensitive skin. Committing to a skincare regimen that does not suit your skin type can compromise skin health and appearance.
6 Tips to Have Radiant Skin
Fight the usual suspects that cause tired and dull skin with the following recommendations.
- Eat healthily
Cut down on trans fat, processed meat, and sugary foods. Replace them with food rich in fatty acids, such as Omega 3. That’s abundant in walnuts, hemp seeds, flax, and oily fish. Don’t forget your fruits and veggies and protein sources, too.
- Avoid stress
Practice yoga. Or at the very least, meditate. While stressors, from social to environmental, are beyond your control, you have the power to recalibrate how you respond to them. Find your center and regain your focus.
- Get enough sleep
You need at least eight hours of sleep every night. During the day, don’t shy away from power napping, too.
Drink enough water. Doctors recommend at least two liters a day, but drink more if you pursue an active lifestyle. The rule of thumb is that the more you sweat, the more you have to hydrate to replenish what you lost.
Speaking of an active lifestyle, shed off those toxins and free radicals from your body by sweating them out. Commit to a regular exercise schedule. If you can’t go to the gym, you could still perform routines at home sans gym equipment.
- Let go of vices
Alcohol dries your skin. So do smoking. If you can, get rid of those bad habits.
- Stick to a suitable skincare regimen
You need to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, and sun-protect. However, those habits should take into account your skin type. So, before committing to a skincare routine and purchasing skincare products, first, know if your skin is normal, dry, combination, oily, or sensitive. But regardless of which category your skin belongs to, you can’t go wrong with products containing Vitamin C.
No one has to go through life with dull skin. Just like all problems, dull, tired skin has its solution. So, don’t surrender and instead reclaim the radiant skin you’ve always wanted and deserved. Start with knowing what’s causing your skin to look tired. From there, determine how to address the issue.
Once you start with your radiant skincare routine, commit to it religiously. Never waver. Remember that you’re doing it to become the best version of yourself. Be inspired by the thought that as soon as that version comes to light, you’ll be unstoppable, glowing as you go.