Have you ever had to ship a car from out of state? If so, you know it can be a bit of a hassle. Here are some tips to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
Table of Contents
Research Car Shipping Companies
If you’re moving to a new state or buying a car from out of state, you’ll need to research car shipping companies to get your vehicle to your new home, such as car shipping in California. Here are some tips for finding a reputable and affordable car shipping company:
- Get recommendations from friends or family who have shipped a car
- Do an online search for “car shipping companies” and read customer reviews
- Ask the car shipping company for references from past customers
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured
- Get a written estimate from the company before you commit to using their services
Get Multiple Quotes
If you’re considering buying a car from out of state, you’ll need to factor in the cost of shipping the vehicle to your home. The best way to get an accurate estimate is to get quotes from multiple shipping companies.
Compare rates and services because not all car shipping companies are created equal! Some may offer lower rates but skimp on customer service, while others might charge a bit more but provide outstanding service throughout the process.
Choose the Right Shipping Method
There are a few different shipping methods when you’re looking to ship your car from out of state. Here’s a look at a few of the most popular options:
Drive Away Service: With this option, you drive the car to the shipping terminal and drop it off. The car is then loaded onto a truck and transported to your destination.
Enclosed Carrier: If you’re looking to ship your car in style, an enclosed carrier is the way to go. This option protects from the elements and keeps your vehicle clean during transport.
Open Carrier: The most popular option for car shipping, open carriers offer an affordable way to get your car from point A to point B.
Expedited Shipping: Expedited shipping is the way to go if you need your car urgently. This option costs more than standard shipping but will get your vehicle to you as quickly as possible.
Track Your Car During Shipping
Assuming you’ve chosen an enclosed carrier to ship your car, the next step is to track your vehicle during shipping. You want to be as proactive as possible to avoid delays or issues. Here are a few tips:
- First, ensure the shipping company offers GPS tracking. This way, you can see exactly where your car is and know if there are any delays.
- Second, make sure you have the contact information for the driver and the dispatcher. If there are any problems, you can quickly get in touch with them.
- Third, keep an eye on the weather conditions along the route. If there is bad weather, it could delay the shipment of your car.
- Fourth, have a backup plan in place in case of any delays. For example, you might need to rent a car or take public transportation if your vehicle doesn’t arrive when expected.
Take Delivery of Your Car
If possible, try to be there when the car is delivered. This way, you can inspect it for any damage that may have occurred during shipping and sign off on the delivery paperwork.
If you can’t be there in person, make sure you have someone else available who can inspect the car and sign for it on your behalf. Once the vehicle has been delivered, take some time to review it and ensure everything is in order. If there are any issues with the car’s condition or with the shipping process itself, be sure to contact the shipping company immediately so they can address the problem.
If you’re looking to get your car shipped from out of state, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind. First, make sure you choose a reputable shipping company with experience in shipping cars. Second, be prepared to pay for the shipping costs, which can vary depending on the distance and vehicle size. Finally, be patient – your car can take a few weeks to arrive. But once it does, you’ll be glad you made an effort!