Electronic Health Records (EHR) have been widely adopted by healthcare organizations. Since there are endless vendors offering a variety of EHR systems, it has become difficult to find one that meets your practical needs. Here is where Specialty-specific electronic health records play a significant role in tailoring to the needs of your practice.
The basic functionality of all EHR systems is the same yet Specialty-specific electronic health records have more to provide. According to a recent study 86 percent of specialty providers have switched or returned to specialty-driven EHR solutions.
4 reasons to consider a specialty-specific system
- Each specialty has unique requirements for patient care, practice management as well as EHR solutions. Here are some compelling reasons for choosing specialty-specific software and amplifying practice productivity and patient care:
- Enhanced Workflow: A Specialty-Specific EHR system has essential functionalities such as patient charting, e-prescription monitoring, diagnostic lab orders, medical coding, and the encounter note, the final document, that is unique to every patient visit. Templates are easily customizable to accumulate clinical processes data collection needs.
- Improved Time Management: Unlike an average EHR system that has ample information and templates, a specialty-specific EHR system is designed to streamline your specialty’s needs. They are designed to be flexible and efficient and focused on your specific needs. Thus, saving time and allowing your practice to focus on delivering excellent patient care.
- Boost Efficiency: Accuracy is achieved with features like customized templates, dictate and transcribe, text reminders for appointments as well as copy function features for follow-up appointments, especially for chronic care and pain management and OB/GYN
- Enriched patient care: Specialty-specific system not only enhances workflow but also allows physicians to provide an elevated level of care. They are satisfying for both the patient and the provider. Major time and energy are devoted to patient care and less to scheduling, billing, and documentation. For instance, a practice that specializes in OB/Gyn will schedule bills for a pap smear test and have templates designed for IVF, Ultrasound, Pap Smear, Endometrial Biopsy, Hysteroscopy, and more.
Different Specialties have Different Needs and Priorities
Every medical practice works uniquely based on the provider and their patient’s needs.
Psychiatry as a medical specialty offers comprehensive healthcare for individuals needing mental health care and support. PrognoCIS understands the requirements and responsibilities of a psychiatrist and therefore has EHR software that delivers a wide range of benefits to psychiatrists such as common HPI complaints about Behavioral Problems, Depression, Anxiety, Substance Abuse, and Specialty Scales for PHQ-9, Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale and Mood Disorder Questionnaire. It also supplies patient education material.
Whereas dermatologists specialize in preventing, diagnosing, and treating diseases of the skin, hair, and nails. Good dermatology EMR (Electronic Medical Records) software should always offer templates for acne, rosacea, atypical moles, and procedure templates for biopsy of skin, curettage, and more. It should also offer multiple methods of data entry, complete scheduling management, health reminders, e-prescription, and lab automation. With PrognoCIS, you need not hunt for missing charts. Once data is contained within the Dermatology EHR, PrognoCIS allows lightning-fast retrieval by using an intuitive search functionality that searches across your entire patient database, based on specific requests. Thus, PrognoCIS can deliver custom EHR functionality with specific templates and features perfect for your practices’ specific needs.
Figure 1 doctor with laptop and woman patient at the hospital
Specialty Solutions Improve Patient Care
According to a survey 6 in 10 physicians agreed that specialty-specific EHRs (Electronic Health Records) have led to improved patient care. Implementing specialty EHR software and training staff can be daunting, but the benefits far outweigh the challenges eventually.
- Specialty EHR and practice management solutions allow providers to put their focus on patient engagement resulting in efficient patient-physician communication and better health outcomes.
- Specialty-specific EHR will include templates to streamline data.
- Easy to use, increase flexibility, supply consistency and uniformity in the workflow as well as mitigate errors.
- Built-in templates for specialties are a huge time-saver for staff members and make their jobs easier to do.
- PrognoCIS Specialty EHR apart from specialty-specific templates, anatomical diagrams, and reports, PrognoCIS offers the Ability to copy forward prior HPI, ROS, & Physical into the current encounter. E-prescribing, Patient Portal, content for patient evaluation, Referral Management, Case Management, and Chronic Care Management
- PrognoCIS offers various functionalities like the end-to-end documentation of patient notes, generation of medication history when transferring from one EHR to the other help in simplifying and reducing the tedious and time-consuming documentation process.
Healthcare organizations must use specialty EHR software to their advantage as it is the backbone of any specialty’s practice. To know more about how PrognoCIS specialty-specific solutions and practice management can help you improve patient care, contact us right away.
Author Bio – I work as a senior marketing manager for Bizmatics (A leading EHR software provider). I’m creative and understand the value of effective content marketing in the construction industry. I’m a frequent reader of healthcare marketing, which leads me to the Prognosis Blog.