Parenthood is a dream of every couple. Starting a family could be a life-changing decision for you. But if you keep trying to conceive and it is not successful, you should seek help in the form of an IVF specialist.
Several issues can cause infertility. We cannot determine the cause on our own. In this article, Dr. Hrishiksh Pai, Bloom IVF center in Delhi, discusses issues causing infertility and its treatment.
What is IUI?
Intrauterine Insemination or IUI is a fertility treatment in which sperm is directly placed into a woman’s uterus. It is done around the time of your ovulation. Sperms that have been washed and concentrated are placed directly inside your uterus.
The procedure is done in the hopes that the sperm will swim into the fallopian tube and fertilize the waiting egg, which will result in pregnancy.
IUI procedures can be done at IVF centers. Dr. Hrishikesh Pai, a renowned IVF doctor in India, has an IVF center in Delhi called Bloom IVF Center. There he provides a variety of fertility-related treatments along with IUI.
Why is it done?
The main reason people choose IUI is infertility problems, says Dr. Pai. These are a few of the reasons people consider IUI:
- Unexplained infertility: Generally, IUI is performed as the first treatment in the cases of unexplained infertility.
- Donor sperm: Women who want to choose a donor sperm donor consider IUI. Frozen donor sperm are generally obtained from certified labs and used in the IUI treatment.
- Ovulatory factor infertility: Infertility can occur in women due to ovulation issues like the absence of ovulation or a reduced number of eggs.
- Low sperm count: During IUI treatment, it can show that your partner’s sperm is weak, slow, or small. It can also show if the sperm count is low. IUI becomes a great option in these cases because here, only the sperm that is high in quality is selected and used.
- Semen Allergy: Some people have an allergy to their partner’s semen. It causes burning, redness, and swelling in their vagina. The proteins present in the semen can cause these allergies. In IUI, the allergy-causing proteins are removed during sperm washing.
Procedure and time taken for IUI
According to Dr. Pai from Bloom IVF center in Delhi, the following is the procedure followed for the IUI treatment:
- First, the semen sample is collected and washed in the lab.
- This sample contains a good amount of motile and normal sperms suspended in a nutrient medium.
- An ultrasound examination is used to locate the exact position of your uterus. It also helps determine if the follicle has ruptured. The doctor can fix the right time to place sperm inside the uterus by doing this.
- In the next step, the doctor loads the sperm inside the catheter and directly inserts the sperm inside the uterus during ovulation. This process is painless. Insemination of the sperm during ovulation helps in successful conceiving.
- The injection of the sperm near the egg increases the probability of fertilization.
IUI treatment generally takes four weeks (28 days) to complete. The IUI treatment is available at Dr. Pai’s Bloom IVF center in Delhi.
Benefits of IUI
- IUI does not require women’s eggs to be extracted from the uterus, so the complications are lower.
- IUI does not require you to get anesthesia, so there are no complications during the process or afterward.
- It can treat different infertility issues like unexplained infertility, male factor, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- IUI is beneficial for people who want to use donor eggs.
Success Rate of IUI
The success rate of IUI is around 12 to 20%, says Dr. Pai. It also depends on factors beyond the doctor’s control, such as the woman’s age. Women above the age of 35 are generally advised to go for IVF treatment.
The success rate of IUI is less than that of IVF.
If the IUI process is not successful after a couple of inseminations, you can consider IVF or ICSI.
Risks of IUI
IUI does not involve too many risks. But below are some side effects that can take place during IUI:
- Some women may experience gentle cramping during the treatment.
- Sometimes infections can happen, but they are very rare.
- There may be some vaginal bleeding after the treatment, known as spotting.
Cost of IUI
The cost of IUI in India is less than other countries. It differs from city to city in India. IUI is significantly cheaper than IVF. Given below are costs of IUI in some of the main cities in India without stimulation medications:
|Cost of IUI per cycle
|Rs. 10000 To Rs. 30000
|Rs.7000 To Rs. 25000
|Rs. 10000 To Rs. 20000
|Rs. 8500 To Rs. 40000
|Rs. 8500 To Rs.12000
|Rs. 8000 To Rs. 38000
IUI could be a massive help if you are having infertility issues. It is always better to seek professional help than to think it will never happen for you. It can help you start a family and live a happy life.