Time passes and for everything and for everyone. This reality includes, although we don’t usually think about it, our hair. Hair, like the rest of the body, also ages. The way in which the passing of the years affects the hair depends on different individual variables, but above all on genetics and lifestyle.
Against the first we already know that it is very difficult to fight, but regarding the second point we can do something. So let’s see how and why our hair ages and what we can do to put a stop to the issue.
Table of Contents
The signs of hair aging
The first and most obvious symptom that comes to mind (if you’ll forgive us the grace) is gray hair , but it is not the only one. Aging hair, which is due to a combination of internal factors (genes, health, etc.) and external (UVA, smoking, food, etc.), is manifested by a series of signs, such as the color, thickness, quantity, volume, texture, elasticity and shine. The most common signs are:
- Weakening: over time, hair becomes more fragile and fine, weakening and being more prone to breakage and brittle ends.
- Decrease in volume and density: with the loss of hair thickness, the hair is also reduced in thickness and volume.
- Dryness: age also reduces the hydration of the hair, which becomes progressively drier and, therefore, delicate.
- Loss of shine: time brings with it the loss of the natural shine of the hair, which becomes duller and dull.
- Hair loss: many other elements come into play here, but hair loss is also greater and more frequent with age.
What are the causes of this hair aging?
As we anticipated in the previous section, both internal and environmental issues influence hair aging. Completely avoiding the signs of aging on the hair (as in the rest of our body) is not possible, but we can try to minimize its impact if we know what causes it. So let’s go over the causes behind this process:
- Age itself: it is the main responsibility. The passage of time implies a general deterioration of the organism due to aging and cellular oxidation. Cell renewal slows down and the various structures of the body are degraded. The scalp and hair are no exception.
- Genes and hormones: in all biological processes, the specific genetics of each individual has a great influence. Some people are more prone than others to premature aging, gray hair or hair loss due to the action of their genes and hormones.
- Lifestyle: issues such as diet, stress, smoking or hair care routine also influence aging. Food is key for hair, since it is what provides the necessary nutrients to keep it strong and healthy. But so are rest, hydration or proper hair care and washing.
- Environmental factors: both the sun and pollution are also factors that can influence hair aging. We have already told you how important it is to protect your hair from the sun’s rays , to prevent it from becoming dry and brittle. Pollution is also linked to premature aging, both of the skin and of the hair.
How to avoid hair aging?
You can’t stop time, but we can make it seem like it is passing a little slower. The accumulation of years, as well as our genetic and hormonal load, are things that are given to us without our being able to change them.
However, we can take control of our way of life and learn to take care of our hair from the inside and from the outside. How? Simple to say: controlling our diet , following a hair care routine and protecting hair from environmental aggressions.
When it comes to food, there is no perfect diet that is valid for all people, cases and hair types. But there is a general rule applicable to almost everyone: eat everything, in a varied and balanced way , and in amounts adjusted to our daily energy expenditure. As for hair care habits, we can follow a series of tips:
- Use sunscreen.
- Protect yourself from the intense sun with hats or caps.
- Do not exceed the temperature of the water and the dryer.
- Reduce the use of dyes.
- In case of staining, choose dyes with oils and without PPD (paraphenylenediamine).
- Use organic hair/beard oil that is not very aggressive.
- Choose products without sulfates and with low alcohol concentrations.
- Use specific lines for mature hair.
Beware, hair aging and alopecia are not the same
Before we have talked about one of the symptoms of aging hair is a greater loss of it. And, although it is completely true, we must be careful not to confuse the thinning and hair loss typical of age with alopecia. Yes, after a certain age it is completely normal for hair to lose volume, become finer and decrease in density.
However, androgenic alopecia is a problem that can appear at any age and represents a progressive but constant loss of hair. Good nutrition and hair care can positively contribute to slowing down this process, but to stop it it is necessary to resort to more expeditious solutions. Use Nature Hair oil & Beard oil to moisturize your beard ; it is more comfortable to resort to naturalness. It can strengthen the hair fibers and it can also protect your hair.
Be that as it may, it is recommended that, if you begin to notice that your hair is falling out, you go to a specialist as soon as possible to determine which is the best option.
Name- Julien Chbib
Bio- Julien is the founder of L’Élixir Cosmétiques, a Swiss brand producing cosmetics for men.